print

now browsing by tag

 
 

Using Medium Gel To Create Image Transfers On Fabric – Part Five

There are other approaches to creating transfers using medium gel but before we take that journey I want to share with you a finished piece of work incorporating two of the transfers I created. Using my camera I captured the image of a Peregrine in flight & the moon rising over ‘The Rumps’ in  Polzeath, Cornwall. I made adjustments to both the images on Photoshop and then used both these images to create transfers on to fabric.

I used a mixture of mediums to create the image but primarily textiles, wool, embroidery thread & acrylic paint.

Moonrise over 'The Rumps' - Polzeath Cornwall.

Moonrise over ‘The Rumps’ – Polzeath Cornwall.

Detail of Moonrise over 'The Rumps' - Polzeath Cornwall.

Detail of Moonrise over ‘The Rumps’ – Polzeath Cornwall.

I’ve had great fun creating this image & I can’t wait to get started on the next. I hope you enjoy looking as much as I have enjoyed creating. Need to mount and frame then it will be for sale, price to follow 😀

 

Using Medium Gel To Create Image Transfers On Fabric – Part Two

Following on from my post last week I have been continuing my exploration of creating transfer images on fabric using medium gel. As I mentioned before the success rate when using acetate was hit and miss, so I decided to try a different medium….nothing to lose! I have half a bottle of marvin medium and decided to see what happened if I used this instead, below are some of the results. I haven’t detailed the work-in-process as it is the same as the method in my previous post – Using Medium Gel To Create Image Transfers On Fabric – Part One

Seagull in Flight

Seagull in Flight

The ‘seagull in flight’ image is a favorite of mine, I particularly like the distressed element. It looks like the surface is peeling off, but it isn’t. Again it has been a process of trial and error, but I enjoy experimenting.

The image below didn’t come out as well as I liked but I didn’t mind as it has been part of the learning process. I need to be patient when using Marvin medium. Firstly, allowing it to become dry enough before peeling off the acetate and secondly, peeling it off slowly to prevent to much of the image from being damaged.

Graveyard at Sunset - West Scotland

Graveyard at Sunset – West Scotland

I am pleased with the outcome of  ‘Moon Rise – Polzeath’ and ‘Rockface’ (see below). Both have taken well and I particularly like the abstract nature of Rockface. I altered this image on Photoshop prior to using as a print. To see what the image looked like before visit my facebook page by clicking on the link.

Keep watching as my next post will share another printing process using medium gel.

Using Medium Gel To Create Image Transfers On Fabric – Part One

I have wanted to develop a technique that allows me to place images on fabric other than putting fabric through my printer for a while now. For Christmas I was lucky enough to receive a book – Playing With Image Transfers, by Courtney Cerrutithat introduced me to some techniques I haven’t tried before. I have had so much fun exploring the process of making transfers that I wanted to share some of my experiences on my blog. If you do try any of these techniques I’m sure you will have as much fun as me.

Before starting I sifted through photographs I have stored on my computer, played around with them on Photoshop and printed some on acetate and some on paper in colour and black and white. The photocopied the paper images as my printer is an inkjet and when making image transfers it needs to be printed using a laser jet or photocopies.

I selected an image and some fabric, making sure the fabric is larger than the size of the image.

I secured the fabric to the surface using masking tape as I didn’t want it moving around while applying the image.

Fabric secured with masking tape

Fabric secured with masking tape

I applied an even coat of medium gel on the fabric and then placed the image, rough side down, on to the fabric.

Transferring print to fabric

Transferring print to fabric

I then burnished the image pressing hard enough to transfer the image but not so hard that it smudges. I must admit this part of the process has been  trial and error, it seems to depend on the type of fabric used, some fabrics absorb the gel and image better than others. The fact that you can never be sure how it will turn out is part of the fun for me.

I then carefully pulled off the acetate checking to see if the image has transferred, if not I burnish a bit more until I’m happy with the result. However I do prefer it if some of the image doesn’t take as it gives a more distressed look.

…….And here is the finished print, along with some others I have done using the same technique, as I mentioned before I really like the distressed look that is created when the backing is pulled off.

In my next post I’ll be exploring a slighty different approach to transferring images on to fabric so keep watching.