now browsing by tag
I’ve been having some experimental fun dying fabric with rusting metal & thankfully the outcome has been a success. last week I brushed a mix of vinegar & water onto fabric then laid on some steel wool & pieces of rusting metal. Sprayed on more of the vinegar & water mix, covered in plastic sheeting & left for 24 hours (I did peek a few times, couldn’t help myself). Below you can see some detail of the outcome of which I am very pleased.
The fabric is going to be incorporated into a project based on a Bronze Age Shield on display in the Museum of Somerset in Taunton. The work will be in an exhibition in October 2015 in the Museum with the South West Textiles Group of which I am a member. Please feel free to take a look at the website by clicking on the link. I have constructed an image of the shield from linen painted in powdered copper mixed with a medium gel & copper foil.
After spending hours constructing the shield I then spent a far shorter time deconstructing it which entailed a combination of burning the fabric & aging the copper foil. The copper foil needs to age more yet & I may deconstruct the shield even more later but I want to see how it looks with the rest of the work before doing any more.
I will post more as the work progresses.